Since I had a “fall-winter-spring” pregnancy I was able to wear a lot of comfortable maternity looks. With pregnancy, comfort is a must for me. I tried to stay away from heels as much as possible. For work days, I mostly wore flats or a comfortable wedge. If I did wear heels, they were off within an hour (I kept my flats with me). You can be definitely be comfortable and stylish while pregnant.
With both pregnancies I carried small. I only gained 26 pounds with my second baby. There was only one piece of maternity clothing in my closet, and that was gifted to me. During the last month, I only wore dresses and skirts that I already had in my closet. When I return to work, I’ll still be able to wear those clothes because they stretch. Since you won’t be pregnant forever, I only suggest buying a few maternity staple pieces. Here are a few of my tips for maternity looks:
- Be prepared to pull out your “big girl panties.” These are a must. I went up about two sizes in panties, and I only wore cotton panties. Keep the thongs for date nights. Since your hormones change so much during pregnancy, you’ll thank yourself later.
- If it’s during the cooler months of the year, buy larger sweaters that you can use even when you aren’t expecting. Oversized sweaters are always a go.
- Your weight won’t go away immediately, so the clothes you wore within the last few weeks shouldn’t either. Don’t be so quick to stash those clothes away.
- Thrift shopping for maternity clothes will help you save as well if you gain a substantial amount of weight.
- Leggings are your best friend. They stretch. It’s that simple. Anything you can wear that stretches during pregnancy should stay in your closet.
Dressing your bump during pregnancy can be really fun, but it’s also a time to take advantage of being extra relaxed with very little judgement. What are your favorite maternity looks when you’re expecting?